I had a family emergency, and had to book my flight round trip, from Portland, Maine, to Tampa, Florida with a stop in Atlanta.I have always flown U.S.

Air, or Jet Blue, but unfortunately could not book a flight with them at that time. I always put something on my luggage so it is easy to recognize when I pick it up. When I retrieved my luggage< i noticed the huge sticker I had on my bag was missing. Not a big deal, someone obviously liked it more and took it, and it was a pretty cool sticker (Black Fly Breeders of Maine) whoever took it had to make an effort to remove it, as I put it on, and I know it was not going anywhere.

But that is not my main complaint. I flew back home to Portland at 11:30 P.M., September 21st. I noticed when my suitcase was on the conveyor, that one wheel was completely gone, and the whole bottom of my bag was ripped open. not only that, but it looked like it had tire marks on it, and was completely scraped up!!

I have traveled many places in my lifetime, and yes, luggage does get scraped and ripped, but NEVER in all the traveling I have done, has my luggage ever come back looking like it had been run over by a Mac truck, or looked like it had been dragged across the tarmac!!! All the framework (ribs) that held the suitcase together where broken as well.. After "dragging" my suitcase to my car, I noticed that it smelled like shampoo. After I got home, I opened my bag, and SURPRISE!!

a bottle of shampoo I put between my clothes, had been completely mashed, and was all over my clothing. I would have taken my bag to the baggage office at the airport, and filed a complaint then, but they were closed. Its bad enough they charge for luggage, the least they could do is make sure that the bags are taken care of. U.S.

Air and Jet Blue do not charge for luggage, and at least I know when I fly with them, my bags will be taken care of. I did send them a complaint on line, and received a message back. they may get back to me within seven days, or within 31 days!! Pretty bad they have so many complaints that its going to take a month to get back to me.

When I mentioned to friends of mine that I had flown Delta, even BEFORE I said anything about my luggage, they made comments.. "Your nuts to have wasted your money with them" and "how did your luggage fair out the trip??" This was my first and LAST trip with Delta.

Will let you know if they ever reply to my complaint...

Review about: Delta Airlines Baggage Policy.

Had an Experience with Delta Airlines?

Comments

Not sure if you ever heard anything from Delta but here is something the DOT sent out.

Always go to a baggage agent after ur baggage is damaged..If u read the contract of carriage it say u have to file it 1-4 hours.

The frame work and the rip is covered so they would of got u a new one or repair it.

Sometimes money to buy a new one..But in the future if u have a wheel, zipper, pockets or handle problem ot is not covered

4Justice

Altanta is a major Delta hub and is the busiest airport in the U.S. Given the high volume of traffic that goes through ATL then it would stand to reason that there would be an increase in baggage complaints.

There is always someone (and I do mean always!) from Delta (usually in baggage claim) that can take information from you or help you with a baggage complaint. My experience with Delta and ATL has actually been excellent.

Unfortunetly, the complaints office at the airport was closed... (typical) I also noticed in reading the baggage compliants for Delta, that the majority of them are out of Atlanta.. Im seeing a pattern here..WARNING stay away from Atlanta Airport when booking flights!!!

4Justice

Hopefully you filed a claim prior to leaving the airport. If you did not, you may have a more difficult time.