I haven't flown Delta years and now I regret coming back to Delta. My flight to Palm Beach, Florida from Phoenix, AZ was delayed 5 hours in Atlanta because the planes landing gear 'locked' light was not functional. This was flight #1412 on Tue Jan 29. They attempted to repair it and have us in the air in no time, which turned into a full blown repair, which turned into unrepairable and put us on the next flight out. I lost 5 hours, but these things happen. A week later, I arrive at PBI airport, board my flight back to Phoenix. This is flight 1578 on Mon Feb 4 scheduled to leave at 7pm. They hold the plane on the ground for 40 minutes, filling up the empty seats with passengers from a cancelled flight to LGA. Now, my connecting flight to Phoenix is at 9:30, flight 1605 Gate E06, and we land and I rush off the plane and race to my gate only to discover the gate has been changed and is now A19, so I rush to that gate, I see the plane is still on the ground, I present my ticket, I am out of breath, my arms and legs hurt from hauling my luggage for a half mile across the atlanta airport and they tell me the plane door is closed and I cannot board. In the mean time, the new yorkers, who my plane was delayed for, have a flight leaving at 9:40 at the gate right next door to where we arrived. They all make their connection. I was told to go to the ticket counter to get a ticket to the next flight out of Phoenix, which I am told is 12 hours away.

This is unacceptable as I have a dentist appointment that I will be billed for if I do not appear. I am given a discount coupon to stay at a local hotel. I am not prepared to stay over night. I am a businessman and I have work to get done and now Delta is stealing 12 more hours of my time on top of the five they already took without my permission.

Delta could have held the connecting flight to phoenix for five minutes, just as they held my initial flight for the passengers of the cancelled Delta flight to LGA. Clearly this is discrimination. Those on the cancelled flight were given preferential treatment and caused an artificial delay created by Delta which has turned my schedule updside down and is costing me more than you can imagine! The lady 'Nicole', a large black woman, started to tell me my flight was delayed due to weather. I explained to her the flight was held so Delta could fill all the seats with passengers from the cancelled flight and the weather was fine. She says Delta never holds flights for other passengers. I explained I was on the plane and I saw beautiful weather and saw passengers board after the doors of the plane were scheduled to be closed for a full forty minutes. She continued to provoke me and suggest I write in if I don't like and insited weather was the cause of the delay. I asked for a supervisor immediatly. Eventually I was given a complimentary hotel room, but I am still not in Phoenix. I can understand a delay of a couple hours once in a while, but this has effected me on each leg of my trip coming and going. How will Delta reimburse me for the 17 hours I have now wasted because Delta did not keep their commitment with me? I am requesing reimbursement also for my missed appointment, which was scheduled a FULL DAY after I was to arrive in Phoenix.

They replied:

Thank you for your e-mail describing the problem you experienced.

Your time is valuable, and operating on schedule is equally important to us. However, in the process of operating scheduled service over many different routes each day, occasional mechanical malfunctions, adverse weather, and other interruptions to routine performance plans are unavoidable. These are situations faced by all airlines and no air carrier can guarantee that all flights will depart or arrive on schedule. Nevertheless, we are sorry you were inconvenienced.

We regret we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, and I can understand your frustration and disappointment. However, we hope you will understand that we do not reimburse the expenses you requested and must respectfully decline your request.

Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received in this instance. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always consider it a privilege to be of service.

Daniel Tancak

Then I replied:

I find your response unacceptable and will be sharing this story with the listeners of my radio talk show each weekday throughout the rest of this month. I'll be sure that all of our nationwide and worldwide listeners know that it took Delta 33 hours to get me from Phoenix to Palm Beach and did not offer an explanation as to why new york passengers were given preferential treatment that caused an excessive delay.

Please cancel my Sky Miles account immediately, as I will never fly Delta again. I am also going to share this story everyday this month on my nationwide radio broadcast so my listeners can decide for themselves if they want to risk repeating my experience should they choose to fly Delta.

Please forward this message on to your superiors and I will forward it on to your PR company personally.

Delta Air Lines Corporate Communications

Richard H Anderson, Chief Executive Officer

Kent Landers

Director External Communications (US)

Betsy Talton

Senior Manager Regional Media Relations

Katie Connell

Senior Manager Lifestyle/Leisure Media Relations

And they repied:

We are very concerned about the unfortunate situation you described.

Flying with Delta should be enjoyable, and I am sorry for any role we may have played which caused your travel experience to be otherwise. The inconvenience you experienced does not support our goal of providing a high level of service and value to our customers. Customer service is very important to us, and we are working hard to transform our company.

According to the rules of the program, the credit earned in your SkyMiles account will remain active until December 31, 2010. SkyMiles will not expire as long as there is qualifying activity at least once every two years. Within two years of inactivity with a zero balance the account will be closed.

We value the relationship you have with Delta Air Lines and would be delighted to have another chance to restore your trust and confidence in our service.

Loren Byers

And I replied:

Please be aware that I am reporting this abusive cancellation and delay of planes to the FAA. The four flights I booked were all about half-full.

But after Delta manipulated the planes, 3 of the 4 planes were packed without a single seat. The financial reasons for this are obvious, but on the 3rd flight, it was reported in the Delta computer system that the flight was delayed due to weather, rather then the truth that the flight was delayed to make room for other passengers. That delayed the plane by more than 40 minutes and resulted with me arguing with a Delta Customer Service rep named Nicole who insisted the flight was delayed due to weather because that’s what her computer said. When I corrected her why the flight was delayed, her response was "I'm just telling you what my computer says." And my response was "I'm just telling you the real reason" and her response was "Well, that's my computer says" and my response was "well, I was actually on the plane and I know exactly why it was delayed" at which point another customer service rep offered to step in and Nicole said to her, "Oh no, I got this one." As if I was challenging her to fisticuffs! I asked to speak with a supervisor before the computer system mis-information was recognized.

Clearly the FAA has rules about this and I am going to do my best to ensure these questionable business practices of cancelling and delaying fights by 12 hours just to fill a plane to capacity at the inconvenience of the passengers are brought to the attention of the FAA and my entire listening audience.

I have a cancelled dental appointment and an extra day of covered parking and a full day of lost work, all resulting from this artificially created delay practiced by your company to fill planes to capacity.

I know Delta will never do this to me again, because I will never fly Delta again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I look forward to your next boilerplate reply.

Final response from Delta:

Thank you for your most recent e-mail. We regret your continued displeasure with our previous "boilerplate" responses.

However, we appreciate your feedback and encourage you to forward any additional comments to our corporate offices at the address below:

Delta Air Lines

Customer Care

P.O. Box 20980

Atlanta, GA 30320-2980

Thank you for the opportunity to give this matter our final review. Any additional correspondence via e-mail will be kept on file.

Joy Blessing

Online Customer Support Desk

Review about: Delta Airlines Flight Attendant.

Had an Experience with Delta Airlines?

Comments

Orlando, Florida, United States #690868

I fly at least once a month using Southwest.It is SELDOM delayed.

I have to take Delta for couple 1/2 dozen times per year.It is ALWAYS delayed!

Delta continue to delay and cancel flights.I fly maybe once a month and the frequency with which Delta cancels/delays flights makes me wonder how they can continue the silly customer service statements.

Until they get themselves up to world standards they remin a second rate airline.They are to be avoided if possible (and of course its usually not possible, thus they continue to remain in business).

les avions de DELTA AIRLINES SONT MAL ENTRETENUS JAMAIS A L HEURE AUCUNE AIDE EN PLEINE NUIT,LORS D UNE ANNULATION LE 09/07/10 d'un vol NEW YORK/BRUXELLES ( le voyage complet était de RALEIGH/BRUXELLES déjà parti avec une heure de retard,nous a largué sur le tarmac dans les travaux,courrir pour la connexion départ prévu à 19H15 et delayed de demi-heure en demi-heure,pour finir:problèmes électronique et remplacement d'une pièce,à 22H il n'y avait plus d'équipage et on a envoyé les gens à l'hôtel qu'à 2H30 du matin,sans aucun accompagnement,livrés à nous -mêmes en pleine nuit à NEW YORK avec trois bons de 6$ chaque pour le petit déjeuner/lunch/dinner-quand on sait que le moindre sandwich coûtait 8,95$ et nous n'avons rien reçu à l'hôtel qui était sale et de seconde zone.Ma valise a étée déchirée à l'aller,baquélite abîmé et tout casé à l'intérieur,flacons(même en fer)éventrés et cabochés,malgré les précautions prises,vêtements pleins de taches,j'ai du lessiver à l'arrivée le premier jour des vacances,des taches ne sont pas parties.A l'arrivée on avait aussi deux heures de retard,quand on ajoute les 150 eur ajoutés au départ pour des soi-disant kgs en trop, alors que chaque valise ne faisait pas 23KGS ???Ne dites pas que toutes les compagnies sont cpomme celà,la nourriture à bord :dégeulasse.....Plus jamais DELTA ils mettent la vie des gens en danger

On 3/3/10 myself and 3 other family members were to fly from Det to Memphis to San Antonio.Our flight was to leave @ 11:45a arrive in Memphis @ 1:04p with our connector leaving @ 1:35p.

So we had just enough time to deplane and get to our gate. Well, we sat on the tarmac in Det for over 45 minutes waiting for a pilot which we had to almost twist the stewardess to tell us because no one said anything about what the hold up was. We get to Memphis, we run to our gate, see the plane sitting there but we were unable to board. I could see if it was just 1 person trying to board that plane but there were 7 people scheduled to be on that plane.

The cust serv reps were unhelpful and actually referred us to other gates so that they did not have to deal with rebooking us for another flight which by the way did not leave for another 5hrs and oh we now had to go thru Atlanta. So now instead of 1 layover we now had to contend with 2. So now instead of arriving in San Antonio @ 3:45p we did not arrive until 11:30p.

This airline will now be last on my list.My family felt disregarded and disrespected.

I have only flown with one airline and that airline is Southwest:) Simply the best airline.Never had any problems.

Not only is the airfare cheap and always on sale, customer service is excellent, luggage always flys for free, they give free beverages/snacks, and they have the shortest flight duration times. I mean seriously what more could you ask for?? I also joined their rapid rewards program and after 16 pts. earned I get a free roundtrip flight to any destination they service.

They also have the coolest looking airplanes and no tiny ones LOL. I LOVE YOU SOUTHWEST. YOU ROCK!

Once you go Southwest you never go back There is reason to why they are probably the number one airline and make so much profit that they can offer customers $25 one way tickets and other great deals.Traveling has never been so easy

;)

OH go fly Delta , They have been the best so far....Last time I flew,,, the personal is always nice & cold ) and the plan is always clean , *** under seat)------and FUUL Of Fat Yucks

that *** all the time -and the smell is Un barable,,, and ----Many BROWN People,,

they look like Terriests but Dont worry they leave their guns with the pilots on the way in- they only carry little knives..

This has been a practicial joke

this story is not true,....Or is it?? Ypu be the judge.....( just for laughs )

Petersburg, Virginia, United States #10659

Boo hoo frickin hoo.Every airline I've flown has had their share of problems at least once, and Delta the least of them.

You want a real challenge, try US Air next time you fly.Trying to get some money from them by such "empty" threats surely buys you some credibility.