Delta Airlines - Delta did not take us to Paris but to *** and back
We bought two tix to Paris from US six months ahead of time. We carefully selected our seats, together, window, near the front, so we could have a comfortable flight. The day of departure we started getting texts that our first domestic flight was delayed. We called and rescheduled, then another text saying delayed, recalled and rescheduled, then another saying cancelled, recalled and struggled to understand what we were supposed to do. Finally were obliged to rebook the whole trip for the next day. Our careful planning was out the window, people expecting us on the other side put out, reservations cancelled and money lost, no compensation offered by Delta.
But it gets worse.
The next day, no texts, but when we get to the airport, an hour delay before boarding leads to another two hours in the plane which remained at the gate. Packed in like sardines, we are given seats that don't recline because of course we are considered last minute (although we purchased six months ago). People are shoving older passengers and the crew is blaming those who cannot move fast enough for the delay. The pilot comes out screaming at a frightened passenger, even though we had been told it was a "weather" delay (clear skies, mild temperatures) and then a mechanical issue.
Subsequently, articles appear in the press about a massive computer glitch that disrupted Delta schedules over several days. So it was no passenger's fault, but Delta employees don't care who they offend.
Well, the connection to Paris is missed, and everyone on the plane is scattered all around the large airport to try to board flights on other airlines. We see a woman holding her chest and saying, My heart, but a Delta employee yells at us to move or we are going to miss our connection at Air France. Air France does not have any seats available so the joke is on us.
After midnight, many of us are to be found at an airport hotel, where the kitchen is already closed, though there are the most expensive Rice Krispie treats we've ever seen. The hotel desk clerk shows us a huge stack of vouchers, and we wearily but cheerfully ask for the best room in the house. Luckily there is a room left! The clerk says it's like this all the time because of "weather" making air quotes.
Without much sleep because we stayed up on hold with Delta trying to figure out what to do, we attempt to find a flight back to our home airport. We try to check in and it's another fiasco. Now that it's a domestic flight, we need to pay for our luggage. Then we are treated to the spectacle of vying with many others for standby tickets. Shamefully, we find ourselves competing with other just as deserving passengers for a place on yet another delayed, misconnected, overbooked and otherwise disastrous flight. We laugh when we are seated in the very last row in non-reclining seats that we (two skinny minnies) can barely wedge into, and joke to the passengers across the tiny aisle that we got an upgrade (they had similar seats but didn't even have a window).
Then the nausea began. From our little window we could hear, feel and smell the engines whirring and the trucks loading. The exhaust was overpowering. We were thankful that we had decided to give up on going to Paris with Delta and only had a 1.5 hour flight to withstand at this point. But that 1.5 hours was spent with pounding headaches and on the *** of vomiting, which would come when we finally got home.
Waiting to deplane, we were elated to see our two bags coming out of the plane! We had survived! Unfortunately we were sick as dogs for the next week and a half, our vacation time spent at home between the bedroom and the bathroom. Thanks Delta!
More Review Details
What I liked
- I survived the flight
- Did not loose my luggage
What I disliked
- Delays in flights
- Cancellation of flight
- Never reached destination
- Made us sick
- Disrepecting the elderly
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Product or service
- Delta Air Lines Flight
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Booking_code_or_e-ticket_number:=0743200631468 Flying_Blue_or_SkyMiles_number:=2086651404 Telephone_number:=+91 9711008227 Question_or_remark:=Hi This is regarding my reservation number 7PH27W on 06-03-2013 flight KL 6064 sector MSP AMS. This seat i was allocated had abstractions under the seat..."
- "I hate this airline. Reminds me of why I rarely fly them. I just got off flight from Atlanta to Wilmington today flight #5245. The plane is filled with mold!..."
- "I seldom make written complaints about service, but find it very necessary to inform you of the substandard and horrible service provided by Etihad Airways. I will NEVER in my..."
- "I'm not usually one to put businesses on blast on the internet BUT - Ridge Crossings Apartments is a joke of place to call a home, neighborhood, or property management..."
- "Order flowers all the time for the Villages. Wanted to try a local florist, so I called AVAS and ordered flowers over the phone. Mike suggested a vase with an..."
- "I Googled i need to change my address at the post office so then i clicked on official usps change of address form, i read through everything to make sure..."