Madrid, Madrid

As we were landing in Madrid on July 7th I got motion sickness. I waited until almost everyone was off the plane, grabbed my carry-on and headed to the bathroom to change. When I got out of the bathroom, the only people left on the plane were the cleaning crew and the flight attendants. A couple hours later I realized that I had left my rope chain with my wedding ring/engagement ring, a silver cross, and a mother/child pendant with 3 diamonds in the sink on the plane. As soon as I realized what had happened I started contacting Delta and (as most people find out – regardless of their platinum status or whatever) was guided down a black hole. Over the next several days I filled out their online form, went to lost and found at the airport at least 3 times, went to the police at the airport (no one spoke English there), tweeted, and tried every other way I could think of to contact a person within the Delta organization who could JUST ASK the flight crew or cleaning crew if they had found it. And I had correspondence with an insider at Delta that basically closed the door on any sort of conversation.

Here is what I learned yesterday: milecards.com and the comment chain (http://milecards.com/15622/delta-outsources-lost-found-will-you-lose/ ) do a great job of describing how incredibly unhelpful and perhaps criminal Delta is at managing lost items. Furthermore, it explains that a company named Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, AL bids on and buys unclaimed baggage from airlines, so there is a financial incentive to NOT help people find their lost items. I contacted Unclaimed Baggage this morning, and a very nice woman took my name and description of the items and said she’d keep her eyes open for it, but said she didn’t hold out much hope. Her advice was to hound Delta endlessly.

So, I believe 1 of 2 things happened: someone in the cleaning crew or flight crew took it (to keep, sell or return I don’t know) and as is evidenced by the letter I attached Delta can’t be troubled to even ask their staff, OR the black hole that is Delta Lost and Found sold it to the highest bidder so that it can be re-sold. Separate from the sentimentality, one would think at a certain dollar amount that Delta would take and interest on a potential theft of $8000-$10000 .

Product or Service Mentioned: Delta Airlines Flight 415.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Delta Airlines Cons: How delta handles lost items.

• Delta Lost And Found
  • Unclaimed Baggage
  • Unclaimedbaggage com

Comments

This is your problem, not Delta's. Why on EARTH would you *** something that valuable and put it on the sink in an airplane bathroom?

I would NEVER do that with my wedding ring of all things. This one's on you.

Actually, and unfortunately, if you left out on the sink, they didn't steal it, you abandoned it, so eventhough morally it stinks, whoever found it is under no legal obligation to return it.

What would you have them do. Torture the cleaning crew until someone cracked.

Chances are someone did steal your stuff or it was sucked up in a vacuum.

Who knows? At this point there's no way they can sort this out and get your items back.

Thanks for your what not to do on a plane post however.

Delta Airlines Reviews